The Little Vase That Was

It’s been a quiet six years on this blog! We’re quite alive although life, as it’s prone to do, got in the way of posting about our adventures. This post isn’t intended to catch the reader up on happenings but rather to test out our continued ability to post.

It’s finished! This was my first time turning an open segmented piece in two parts and then glueing them together. This made it easier to access the inside but it complicated the overall process and made it more like making two pieces simultaneously.

The finished piece consists of maple and walnut, 12 segments/row, approximately 15 inches tall by 8 inches wide (37cm x 21cm).

Some lessons learned include:

  • The live center extension thing I bought from Rubber Chucky worked well to give me more clearance when cleaning up the bottom.
  • The NovaTool live center I borrowed from Pat worked great for reversing the faceplate and mounting it on the tailstock.
  • I called in a favor (Thanks, Hal!) to use a friends steady-rest and wound up building my own when I needed it again a few days later.

When I started this piece I didn’t realize I’d want/need a steady rest multiple times. A conversation with Hal reminded me of a DIY steady rest made by a Russian guy, Dmitry Popkov. I wound up making a version in order to finish shaping the inside of the rim.

Next time, remove the nub before cutting and burning the groves.
The vase was reversed to cleanup the foot.

Needed to use an MDF ring so the steady-rest would have something smooth to ride on.
Only a few more rows to go.
Using my friends steady-rest and lathe.
The quick and cheap steady-rest I wound up making.
You are getting sleepy…